Overall: 1 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 1/2 in. ( 4.4 x 7 x 1.3 cm )
Salt-glazed stoneware kiln prop with areas of cobalt splashes; arched shape.
Gift of Mr. John Paul Remensnyder
After stoneware vessels were formed, marked, and decorated, they were carefully stacked in the firing kiln. In order to keep the vessels from fusing together, potters placed stoneware props, made simply of wads of stoneware clay, between the pots. This prop was found by the donor around 1958 during an excavation on the east edge of City Hall Park, near the former site of the Crolius pottery.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.