Overall: 2 1/4 x 11 1/4 in. ( 5.7 x 28.6 cm )
Wheelthrown deep dish (commonly called pie plate) with folded over scalloped edge; sgraffito decoration on obverse with German inscription and wavy line bands encircling central date, under lead glaze with incised wavy line bands repeating on exterior walls.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
inscribed: in center: "1801" on obverse, also on reverse in medallion written: on obverse: circular band in German script - too difficult to make out
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.