Overall: 4 x 4 x 4 in. ( 10.2 x 10.2 x 10.2 cm )
Unglazed slab-built redware box with four-sided lid with geometric finial; each side with pricked borders; five-pointed star on two sides alternating with heart on the other sides; lid fits entirely in box.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
incised: script under lid: "Nov 12/1851"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.