Overall: 14 7/8 x 8 x 5 1/2 in. ( 37.8 x 20.3 x 14 cm )
Flagon with hinged flat-topped lid with inscription and offset orb finial, strap handle, crooked three-sided spout with small engraved eye on either side; on tapering columnar body; inscription with wriggled work, wreath under spout, spreading skirt base.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
engraved: on front: "[wreath] DIS IST/DER GERTNER/BELIEBUNG/HIRSCHENK KANNE/IN ROSTOCK/ANNO/1715" engraved: on lid: "[wreath] NICODEMIS/CHRISTIAN/DABEL/1715." marked: touch marks on handle
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.