Overall: 5 5/8 x 7 1/4 x 3 1/2 in. ( 14.3 x 18.4 x 8.9 cm )
Molded earthenware pitcher in the form of a cow, with opening in mouth and on top of back with looped tail and curling horns standing with a seated calf on a rectangular base with canted corners; sponged brown decoration and geometric motifs in yellow and blue under high gloss glaze.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
collector's label: on underside of base: "1415/Eng"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.