Overall: 6 3/8 x 4 1/4 in. ( 16.2 x 10.8 cm )
Molded white or ivory bodied vase with cylindrical opening on rounded shoulders of tapering form; hand-painted underglaze decoration with white blossoms, pink buds, and green leaves, lined in black on yellow ground with green rim and foot under transparent glaze.
Gift of Mrs. Clifford R. Dumble
painted: in green on base: "J BENNETT/NEW YORK,/R 183"
John Bennett emigrated from England where he was director of the faience department of the Lambeth pottery of Messrs. Doulton & Co. He came to New York in 1876 and soon built a kiln on Lexington Avenue and later others on East 24th Street. Edwin Atlee Barber credits Bennett with introducing his faience decorating method to the U.S. (See Barber, Pottery and Porcelain of the U.S., pp. 305-306).
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.