largest: 1/8 x 1 1/2 in. ( 0.3 x 3.8 cm )
Eight red earthenware buttons, three with an olive green glaze and five with a mottled brown "Rockingham" glaze; each button has recessed center with four holes.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
written: on adhesive label on back of each button: "1173" [Nadelman collector's tag]
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.