Overall: 1 1/4 x 12 1/2 in. ( 3.2 x 31.8 cm )
Circular wooden cake board carved with image a ram, a banner with a cross on it, flowers and "1790" surrounded by a stylized foliate band; two notched finger gripping holes on reverse.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
intaglio (inverted): on obverse: "1790" impressed: on reverse: "GM" handwritten in ink: on collector's label affixed to reverse: "2497" handwritten in yellow pencil: on reverse: "228 / 7 pieces"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.