Overall: 7 x 8 x 5 in. ( 17.8 x 20.3 x 12.7 cm )
Molded earthenware pitcher with dark blue transfer print of the New York Insane Asylum and City Hall; baluster-shaped pitcher with strap handle, wide spout, and circular foot; floral border at top on interior and exterior; view of Insane Asylum printed on one side of pitcher, view of City Hall on opposite side; exterior of handle with printed floral decoration.
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
typed: collector's label on bottom of interior: "New York City Hall./New York/By Clews..."
The New York Insane Asylum, also known as Bloomingdale Asylum, opened in 1821 on the present site of Columbia University. Columbia purchased the property in 1894 when the Asylum moved to White Plains.
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.