Overall: 1 x 7 1/4 in. ( 2.5 x 18.4 cm )
Molded pearlware plate with dark blue transfer print of the American Museum; oak leaf and acorn border with central image of buildings, with gate, sidewalk, and strolling figures in foreground. Printed mark on back of plate mis-identifies the view as Columbia College.
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
printed: in blue on back of plate: "COLUMBIA COLLEGE/R.S.W." in banner with flowers printed: on adhesive label on back of plate: "86" [collector's label] written: on jelly label on back of plate: "L243.11" [collector's label] typed: on note affixed to back of plate (part missing): "..."fields" or "Commons" a/...to the citizens in 1686 and..."
Built in 1796 as the Alms House, by 1816 the American Museum became the New York Insitution building and housed several literary and scientific societies including the New-York Historical Society and Scudder's American Museum. This museum was well known for curiosities until 1842 when Scudder sold his collection to P.T. Barnum. The stone building at right, built in 1757, was the debtor's prison, used by the British as a military prison during the Revolutionary War.
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.