Overall: 1 1/2 x 2 7/8 in. ( 3.8 x 7.3 cm )
Wheel-thrown redware inkwell with straight sides and flat top with incised ring around central opening; lead glaze to with 1/4 in. of flat base.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
written: on collector's label on underside of inkwell: "767/Amer"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.