Overall: 10 in. ( 25.4 cm )
Molded pearlware plate with dark blue transfer print of the New York City almshouse; border of scrolls and foliage; central image of almshouse behind fence, with trees and cannon in foreground.
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
transfer-printed: in blue on underside of plate: [eagle holding plaque] "ALMS HOUSE/NEW YORK/BY W G WALL ESQR" impressed: on underside of plate: "STEVENSON WARRANTED STAFFORDSHIRE" around crown printed: on adhesive label on underside of plate: "121" [collector's label] typed: on jelly label on underside of plate: "Alms House...Rare item...Not Listed by Larsen."
New York's thirds Almshouse, opened in 1816, was located on First Avenue where Bellevue Hospital stands today.
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.