Overall: 1 x 10 in. ( 2.5 x 25.4 cm )
Molded pearlware plate with dark blue transfer print of the New York City almshouse; border of scrolls and foliage; central image of almshouse behind fence, with trees and cannon in foreground.
Gift of Mrs. J. Insley Blair
transfer-printed: in blue on underside of plate: [eagle holding plaque] "ALMS HOUSE/IN THE CITY/OF/NEW YORK/BY W G WALL ESQR" impressed: on underside of plate: "A. STEVENSON WARRANTED STAFFORDSHIRE" around crown
New York's third Almshouse, opened in 1816, was located on First Avenue where Bellevue Hospital stands today.
Purchased by Mrs. J. Insley Blair from Hudnut Sale, AAA, Nov. 1926 ($90) .
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.