Overall: 9 3/8 x 6 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 23.8 x 15.9 x 3.2 cm )
Rectangular wooden printing block with pattern of striped bands alternating with bands of stylized leaves carved in relief on obverse; reverse with rectangular indentation carved on one edge and three brass strips screw-mounted (so that they swivel) to three opposite edges.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
handwritten in ink: on paper collector's label affixed to reverse: "2560 / Fr."
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.