Overall: 3 x 2 in. ( 7.6 x 5.1 cm )
Brass cartridge-box badge; open-work, foliate inscription set inside circular border which is engraved with a corps name; border is surmounted by British crown; three fasteners on back.
stamped, cast: (1), stamped on border: "BUTLERS/RANGERS"; cast inside border: "GR" (Royal cypher of Kinge George III)
This badge was found near the Niagara River; it is unclear whether it was found in New York or in Canada. The badge was fastened to a cartridge-box, a leather bag which held a soldier's ammunition. Butler's Rangers was a Loyalist corps raised during the early years of the American Revolution. They were recruited in 1777 from Tryon County, New York by Colonel John Butler, and in alliance with Iroquois bands raided the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.