Overall: 1 3/4 x 1 5/8 in. ( 4.4 x 4.1 cm )
Brass fastener excavated at Fort Haldimand; heart-shaped with engraved thistle on front; three hooks on back hold leather fragments in place.
This fastener was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The thistle indicates that the fastener belonged to an officer of the 21st Regiment (Scots Fusiliers), who was part of a detachment of that regiment at the fort.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.