Overall: 12 1/4 x 11 1/2 x 7 in. ( 31.1 x 29.2 x 17.8 cm )
Circular wide-bellied coffeepot with a narrow applied and seamed neck, and narrow base; flat bottomed; cast c-scrolls, s-scrolls, and fleur-de-lis applied to the shoulder and neck rims; four applied feet cast as trefoils with cast c-scrolls forming the rest of the rim around the base; high, hinged, domed lid with an acanthus-torch finial; small cast back-to back c-scrolls form lower handle socket, upper curved acanthus leaves, fitted with ivory insulators and a hollow, cast silver c-scroll handle partly covered by acanthus leaves; spout cast in two halves and seamed, s-curve with acanthus leaves on the lower front over a scroll that extends behind the spout into a grape vine design, upper back with a simple acanthus design; chased, repouss
Gift of Mr. Andrew Oliver
engraved: in reserves: "T M & M S B" in script Mark: stamped on base: "G/ &/ W" in a conforming rectangle next to a diamond containing year "1859", and above "925 STERLING/ GALE & WILLIS/ 447 BROOME ST/ NEW YORK"
Made for Thomas Marston Beare (1806-1869) and his wife Mary Saltonstall Beare (1807-1869) and engraved with their initials. The same handle and rim decoration can be found on a ewer in the collection of Winterthur (61.964).
Due to ongoing research, inf