Steel, brass, wood, textile
Overall: 43 3/4 x 6 x 4 1/2 in. ( 111.1 x 15.2 x 11.4 cm )
Sword with long, straight, double-edged steel blade with elliptical cross section; brass basket hilt with crown and "C" device, thumb ring, and tear drop shaped quillon; wooden grip covered in textile and wrapped with wire; ovoid brass pommel with flattened ball finial; tassel on long strip of cloth tape attached to hilt.
Bequest of Charles M. Lefferts
stamped: on reverse of blade below hilt: indecipherable maker's mark uncised: on underside of hilt: "L. No. 67"
This sword apparently belonged to an officer of the Brunswick dragoons, German mercenary soldiers who aided the British in the Revolutionary War. According to the accession records, it was captured from a dragoon of the Brunswick Regiment Von Riedesel at Bennington, Vermont, in 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.