Overall: 7 1/2 x 5 5/8 x 8 3/8 in. ( 19 x 14.3 x 21.3 cm ) Base: 5 5/8 in. ( 14.3 cm ) Part (lip): 4 5/8 in. (11.7 c
Wrought silver tankard; circular body with straight sides tapered from applied, molded, baseband to an applied, molded, flared lip; stepped, flat cover with serrated and engraved flange at the front; lid has circular reserve in the center with an engraved cipher, "J T M" in script; scrolled thumbpiece and molded hinge-plate with a broad molded drop and a small bead drop; double-scroll handle with a rat-tail terminal; front center engraved, "Murray. 1766 to 1881/ L. W. Ledyard./ The Oaks, 1881." in script; maker's marks stamped below rim, on both sides of the handle; engraved inscription in script on the base.
Gift of the Estate of Mrs. J. H. Ten Eyck Burr
Lid engraved: cipher "JT[?]M Body engraved: "Murray. 1766 to 1881./L.W. Ledyard./The Oaks, 1881." Engraved on underside: "The/ Murray Hill Tankard./ Murray, New York, prior to 1766./ John Murray/ house pearl street 1770, Murray hill farm/ John R. Murray/ Hudson square 1820./ John Rodgers Murray/ Murray Hill, New York. / Murray Hill, Mount Morris." Maker's mark (stamped): MM Description: Maker's mark "MM" stamped twice on upper boddy under lip band along either side of handle.
This tankard was likely made for John Murray III (1737-1808), who married Hannah Lindley in Philadelphia in 1766. Murray's estate encompassed today's Manhattan neighborhood, Murray Hill. He passed it to his son John Rodgers Murray (b. 1774). John Rodgers Murray adopted Elizabeth Lizzie Vail, who married L. Walters Ledyard of Cazenovia, NY. Their daughter Elizabeth was the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.