Overall: 5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 3/8 in. ( 13.3 x 9.5 x 13.7 cm ) Silver Weight: 13 oz (troy) 12 dwt (423 g)
Wrought silver cann; baluster-shaped body on a circular molded foot; plain, molded band applied around the rim; double-scroll handle with a scrolled acanthus leaf thumbpiece, lower terminus joins to a c-scroll joint; engraved on the front center, "M" in an oval reserve within a garland of wheat sheaves; maker's mark stamped on the base.
Gift of George C. McWhorter
Inscription: engraved at center front "M" in script surrounded by scalloped oval frame and mantling of wheat husks Maker's mark: stamped on base: "Myers" in script, conforming
This cann belonged to Rev. Alexander McWhorter, D. D., (1734-1807), founder of the First Presbyterian Church, Newark, New Jersey. A friend of George Washington, he served as a chaplain in the Revolutionary War. The cann was donated by McWhorter's great-grandson, George C. McWhorter (1822-1902).
Hofer, Margaret K. "Seventeenth-and eighteenth-century family silver." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 156-160.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.