each overall: 4 3/4 x 3 7/8 x 7 1/2 in. ( 12.1 x 9.8 x 19 cm )
Pair of wrought silver sauceboats; deep, oval boat-shaped bodies, with flared and gadrooned pie-crust rims and long, high and wide pouring lips; double c-scroll handles with acanthus grips and solid scroll terminuses, joined to and curved above the rims; three cast cabriole legs with trefoil knees and pad feet; engraved, "C E R" in foliate bright-cut script on the side right of the handles and engraved with the Robinson family crest, a stag of the shield, on the side left of the handles; makers' marks stamped on the bases.
Gift of the Pintard Fellows
engraved: the side right of the handles: "C E R" in foliate bright-cut script engraved: the side left of the handles: the Robinson family crest, a stag of the shield stamped: on the bases: "V. V. & S." in a serrated rectangle besides a bald eagle with a shield at its breast in a diamond
Belonged to Christopher and Esther (Sayre) Robinson (b. 1763) of New York and is engraved with their initials. Christopher Robinson's brother, Beverly, of Garrison, NY, lived in the house that was Benedict Arnold's headquarters during the Revolutionary War. It was here that Arnold completed his traitorous negotiations to surrender command of the army at West Point to the British. The Robinsons were forced to flee to England when the act was discovered, but returned to NY at the end of the war.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.