Overall: 14 1/2 x 3 3/4 x 2 1/2 in. ( 36.8 x 9.5 x 6.4 cm ) Silver Weight: 5 oz (troy) 18 dwt (184 g)
Wrought silver ladle with down-turned pointed handle decorated with bright-cut engraving and script initials "JL"; deep circular bowl has pointed drop at reverse; makers' hallmark and pseudo hallmarks stamped along the underside of handle end.
Gift of Mrs. Charles S. Fairchild
engraved: on the handle: "JL" in script stamped: on the underside of the handle: "J & T.D" in roman letters in a rectangular surround with pseudo hallmarks of bird's head in a rectangular surround and wheat sheaf in rectangular surround
This ladle belonged to John Lincklaen (1768-1822) of Cazenovia, New York, who married Helen Ledyard (1777-1847) in 1797. Born in Amsterdam, Lincklaen arrived in the United States in 1790 and became an agent for the Holland Land Company, selling tracts in western New York State.
John Lincklaen (1768-1822), who married Helen Ledyard (1777-1847); to her nephew Lincklaen Ledyard (1820-1864, changed name to Ledyard Lincklaen), who married Helen Clarissa Seymour; to their daughter, Helen Lincklaen (1845-1931), the donor, who married Charles S. Fairchild (1842-1924).
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.