Overall: 3 x 4 in. ( 7.6 x 10.2 cm )
Stoneware bowl; gray-bodied with brown salt glaze; incised lines on body.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
This bowl was excavated in 1909 by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp between Arden and 192nd Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The bowl was owned by a soldier, by a member of a soldier's family, or by a camp follower.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.