Overall: 5 1/8 x 2 3/4 in. ( 13 x 7 cm )
Wheelthrown redware baluster-shaped vase with sgraffito decoration of crossed laurel branches with monogram and copper green exterior under a lead glaze.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
incised: in scrolling script: "C
This vase belongs to a group of objects made in Chester County, PA and attributed to the Caln pottery of Thomas Vickers. All objects have white slip with sgraffito carving and covered with copper green glaze. Vickers referred to these as "green enamel ware." Related objects can be found at the Winterthur Museum and the Chester County Historical Society. The initials "E.S." on this vase probably refer to a young girl who received it as a gift.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.