Overall: 9 1/4 x 9 1/4 x 5 in. ( 23.5 x 23.5 x 12.7 cm ) Silver Weight: 35 oz (troy) 1 dwt (1090 g)
Cast and wrought silver presentation pitcher; octagonal body tapering toward the applied, molded rim from the applied, molded base; cast spout in the form of a dolphin and shell with foliate and ball drop; cast s-scroll handle, upper portion with shell decoration and a conch grip, lower portion with acanthus decoration; diaper and scroll decoration engraved around the base and shell and foliate scoll cartouches on each side; front cartouche engraved, "NEW YORK YACHT CLUB/ Subscription Stakes/ October 7th, 1846." in script and block letters; maker's marks stamped on the base.
Puchased by the Society
engraved: in the front cartouche: "NEW YORK YACHT CLUB/ Subscription Stakes/ October 7th, 1846." in script and block letters stamped: on the base: "WM F. LADD" in roman letters in a rectangle above, "NEW-YORK" in a serrated rectangle
Organized in 1844, the New York Yacht Club was the first yacht club on the east coast. The first record of a silver trophy rewarding the winner of a New York Yacht Club race was 1845. This trophy was awarded to Commodore John C. Stevens for the victory of his 100 ft. yacht "Maria" in the club's Corinthian Regatta on October 6, 1846. This was the first regatta in the club's history in which only amateur members were permitted to steer and handle yachts.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.