Overall: 12 x 3 1/4 x 4 in. ( 30.5 x 8.3 x 10.2 cm )
Flat back wooden whetstone holder with red, green, yellow, and blue painted decoration composed of heart, two flowers and concentric circles; two holes for mounting on wall on either side.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
painted: on front below opening: "SM" hand written: collector's label affixed to back: "2651/Swiss"
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman