Overall: 1 1/2 x 3/4 in. ( 3.8 x 1.9 cm )
Circular, flat bale seal.
stamped: front: "24"; back has stamped symbol resembling pie: curved line atop two vertical lines.
This bale seal was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit near a military camp and fort at Richmond, Staten Island. Built after the arrival of British forces under General William Howe in July, 1776, the fort was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The seal was fastened to the outside of a package of blankets, clothing, or other supplies that was shipped to the troops.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.