Overall: 3/8 x 7/8 in. ( 1 x 2.2 cm )
Bone back covered by thin silver face with a crown, regiment number, and wreathed design stamped on front.
stamped: front: "37" (37th British Regt.; crown above #)
This button was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit near a military camp and fort at Richmond, Staten Island. Built after the arrival of British forces under General William Howe in July, 1776, the fort was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The button was worn on the coat or waistcoat of a British officer in the 37th Regiment.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.