Oil on canvas
Overall: 34 1/4 x 27 in. ( 87 x 68.6 cm )
inscription: on back: "Painted by Miller & Hillyer / New York / 1846"
Miller and Hillyer were partners in a miniature and portrait studio in New York, 1846-58, and were then joined for two years by Stephen Krauss. After 1862 the partners gave up portrait painting and turned to photography.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.