A descendant of the first patroon, Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, Stephen was the son of Stephen (1742-69) and Catherine (Livingston) Van Rensselaer. A Federalist, he served in the state assembly and the state senate, and was lieutenant governor from 1795-1801. From 1822 to 1829 he was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives. In 1824 he established a school at Troy, N.Y., which later became Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. This portrait was a gift to the Society from his great-grandson.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024