Plaster of Paris, paint
Overall: 6 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 3/4 in. ( 16.5 x 10.8 x 7 cm )
Chalkware dog with black ears and tail and textured head and body with green and orange spots, seated on high rectangular base.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
handwritten in blue pencil: on inner wall of base: "1422 / Amer."
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.