Plaster of Paris, glass, paint
Overall: 19 3/4 x 8 3/4 x 4 1/2 in. ( 50.2 x 22.2 x 11.4 cm )
Chalkware church, painted light taupe, with arched window openings lined with glass; back is open, with candleholder located near center of base; has traces of red, blue, and green paint applied to inner surface.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
written in graphite, near bottom edge of reverse: "1239/Amer" Jelly label with "$15" in ink on reverse.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.