Overall: 2 3/8 x 5 1/2 x 7 3/8 in. ( 6 x 14 x 18.7 cm )
Curb bit; fixed cheeks with slightly bulbous mouthpiece.
This bit was excavated by avocational archaeologists Reginald P. Bolton and William Calver circa 1910 at the site of Fort George, a Revolutionary War fort and encampment located in Washington Heights, Manhattan. The camp was located at what is now Audobon Avenue, between 190th and 194th Streets, and was occupied by British and Hessian troops from 1776 until the end of the war in 1783. The bit was probably used on a horse belonging to an officer or a soldier in a dragoon regiment.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.