Overall (shoulder to hem): 7 3/4 in. (19.7 cm)
Doll's double breasted grey and black boiled wool jacket; stand-up collar and faux turn back cuffs; two rows of three mother of pearl buttons at front placket. Men's inspired styling at back with vented peplum, side pockets and three decorative mother of pearl buttons at waist.
Gift of Marian F. Fraser
This doll, Helen, her wardrobe and trunk were originally owned by Mary Augusta Colson whose seafaring family roots were in Brooklyn, New York and New England. The doll was purchased for Mary as a favor to Captain Colson by the owner of his ship, Vernon H. Brown in 1876. Mrs. Brown spent weeks with her dressmaker designing the most current fashions for the doll. Mary was later photographed with her doll in Boston, as were successive generations of female descendants, including the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.