Overall: 1 1/4 x 9 3/8 in. ( 3.2 x 23.8 cm ) Silver Weight: 16 oz (troy) 7 dwt (509 g)
Silver salver; raised, circular dish with applied, cast scrolled edge and an applied, cast scroll and shell rim; three cast scroll feet applied to the base; engraved in the center, "A B" in gothic script beneath a helmet surmounted by two wings addorsed, the Beekman family crest; engraved on the base, "A * P" in block letters and "L/ D A" in block letters; maker's mark stamped twice on the base.
Gift of the Pintard Fellows
engraved: in the center: "A B" in gothic script beneath a helmet surmounted by two wings addorsed, the Beekman family crest engraved: on the base, "A * P" in block letters and "L/ D A" in block letters stamped: on the base: twice, "OPDP" in roman letters in rectangles
This salver originally belonged to Anneke Provost (b. 1724), whose initials "AP" are engraved on the base. Anneke was baptized March 11, 1724. She was the daughter of William and Aefje (Van Exveen) Provost. William was a prominent merchant and a member of His Majesty's Council in New York. Anneke married Dirck Lefferts on April 29, 1761, at which time his initials were probably added. Her granddaughter Anna Beekman inherited the salver, whose initials and family crest are engraved in the center.
Made for Anneke Provost (b. 1724), who married Dirck Lefferts (1719- 1799); to his daughter Sarah Lefferts (b. 1756), who married James J. Beekman (1744-1796); to their daughter Anna Beekman (b. 1784), who married John Finlay; descent uncertain; purchased from Parke-Bernet, New York, Americana sale, November 19, 1976, lot 603.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.