Section of water pipe
Access to clean, potable water was a constant issue for New York City brewers (and all inhabitants) prior to the 1842 opening of the Croton Aqueduct. This section of wooden pipe came from one of the city’s earlier water systems, the Manhattan Water Company, which was chartered in 1799.
New-York Historical Society, Gift of Stoughton and Stoughton
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.