Imagine beating every strain of flu with a single jab. Wiping out your risk of some lethal cancers, HIV, and malaria during a routine doctor’s visit. That’s the promise of next-generation vaccines, and researchers are closing in on the basic science needed to bring them to reality. Join epidemiologists, virologists, and public-health experts as they share insights on the new wave of vaccine research, and the race to eliminate pandemic threats. Setting the stage for the discussion is a screening of Contagion, Steven Soderbergh’s chilling thriller about a deadly flu outbreak and the global race to contain it.
The discussion will feature:
- Moderator Richard Besser ABC News Chief Health & Medical Editor
- Jean Ashton, Curator of Get Vaccinated, Executive Vice President, New-York Historical Society
- Laurie Garrett, Journalist
- Gary Nabel, Virologist, Immunologist
- Michael Osterholm, Public health scientist
- Harold Varmus, Nobel Laureate, Oncologist
Tickets may be purchased through the World Science Festival. Click here.