Rights and Reproduction Assistant
JOB TITLE: Rights and Reproduction Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Rights and Reproduction
REPORTS TO: Head of Rights and Reproduction
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The Rights and Reproductions Assistant provides support for the Rights and Reproductions Department by handling all requests made by external clients wishing to use images of items in the New-York Historical Society Museum and Library’s collections. The position also provides support for the New-York Historical Society Digital Program by scanning collections and creating metadata for digital images.
Rights & Reproductions Job Duties:
- Conduct research to identify and retrieve materials from the collections that have been requested for reproduction, and refer customers to appropriate staff for research assistance
- Determine copyright status, oversee permissions, give rights to individuals and institutions seeking to use images for a variety of purposes, or refer them to third-party rights holders when applicable
- Serve customers via phone, fax, email, and mail, generate invoices, complete orders, process payments, send out images, and generate weekly reports
Digital Program Job Duties:
- Retrieve materials from the collections, track them, and stage them for scanning
- Scan collections
- Create metadata for digital collections
- Refer any materials in need of special handling or treatment to the Conservation Department
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- B.A., preferably in the humanities
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and manage time efficiently
- Good oral and written communications skills and close attention to details
- Good computer skills, including ability to search library and museum catalogs and experience with Microsoft Office (including Access and Excel), FileMaker, and Adobe Photoshop
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Interest in Library Science, Museum Studies, or a related field
- Experience with scanning on flatbed and overhead scanners
- Experience handling rare and fragile collection materials
- Knowledge and experience with metadata standards such as MODS or Dublin Core
COMPENSATION: $40,000 annually. Full benefits package.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role, though some filing, lifting and carrying of library materials, stooping and reaching, and pushing and pulling of book carts will be required.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer