Switchboard Operator (FT)
JOB TITLE: Switchboard Operator-Full Time
DEPARTMENT: Visitor Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Visitor Services
JOB SUMMARY: The New-York Historical Society is seeking a full-time Switchboard Operator for its Visitor Services department. The Switchboard Operator is New-York Historical’s primary phone-based customer service representative, responsible for routing calls and answering general inquiries about the institution. The Switchboard Operator is also responsible for backing up the Ticketing Call Center. The schedule for this position is 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or GED required. Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
SALARY: The salary for this position is $15/hour
- 1-2 years customer service/phone experience, preferably in a museum/arts setting
- Computer skills
- Friendly, outgoing personality
- High level of verbal and written communication skills and the ability to multitask
- Ability to interact with callers, coworkers and vendors with an outgoing positive attitude
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Answering incoming calls, greeting callers, providing information, and accurately transferring calls and/or taking messages as necessary
- Keeping up-to-date with the Museum’s exhibitions, events, policies, and other relevant information
- Maintenance of the New-York Historical staff phone directory
- Providing backup to the ticketing Call Center, as necessary
- Administrative and clerical duties, such as transcriptions, data entry, and reserving wheelchairs for visitors
- Additional duties as requested
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee may be required to stand or sit for extended periods of time and lift objects over their head.
For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer