JOB TITLE: Administrative Coordinator
REPORTS TO: General Counsel
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The Administrative Coordinator will handle administrative and logistic duties for the successful operations of New-York Historical Society, including maintaining the Master Calendar, an institution wide calendar and reservation system. The Coordinator provides day-to-day support to the office of the General Counsel, and serves as secondary administrative support to the office of the President and CEO. The ideal person for this position will possess excellent organizational skills, and have the ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and conflicting priorities, demonstrate a high attention to detail, provide follow up in a timely manner, and handle and maintain confidential information. Interest in the logistics and legal processes involved in the management of museums and cultural institutions is preferred but not required.
- Maintains the Master Calendar, an institution wide calendar and reservation system, and conducts trainings for new hires on the reservation system.
- Provides day-to-day administrative support for the General Counsel, which includes filing, ordering supplies, invoice processing, copying, organizing materials, scheduling and other administrative duties; creates and maintains organizational systems to facilitate project flow; edits and proofreads documents.
- Provides back-up administrative coverage to the office of the President and CEO.
- Prepares logistics meeting minutes, helps lead weekly logistics meetings, and compiles various attendance reports.
- Coordinates annual book prize competitions administered through New-York Historical, by facilitating the submission, review, and award process.
- Assists with administration and logistics for committees composed of the Museum’s Board of Trustees.
- Works on small research projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- One to two years of related administrative experience
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- A self-motivated learner with the desire to take on challenges
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference the job title in the subject line.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer