Director of Human Resources
JOB TITLE: Director of Human Resources
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: General Counsel
The mission of the New-York Historical Society is to collect, preserve, and interpret, for the broadest possible public, material relevant to the rich history, cultural diversity, and current evolution of collections which have important intrinsic national significance, as well as those of New York City and State region. To fulfill this mission, the New-York Historical Society engages its audiences through interdisciplinary and interactive exhibitions, publications, lectures, symposia, public programs, and school and community outreach, and provides access to its research facilities and collections.
The Director of Human Resources supports our staff and continues to make N-YHS a great place to work. The right person will be proactive and resourceful, have strong knowledge and experience in Human Resources, and will direct all areas of Human Resources including policy development, talent acquisition, performance management, labor relations, employee relations, compensation, and benefits. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality are critical to this role. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are extremely important in this position.
This position is both strategic and hands on. The ideal person will both be a counselor to senior management as well as responsible for making sure all day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Department are completed.
- Anticipate and provide strategic direction for N-YHS's HR needs;
- Stay abreast of best practices across all aspects of HR operations to ensure the Society’s administration aligns with best practices.
- Audit current institution practices and recommend appropriate changes;
- Develop the internal and external recruitment strategies to meet the Society’s needs;
- Oversee, organize, and administer the employee hiring process;
- Implement HR tools and systems improvement plan: manage the development and maintenance of HR databases and automated systems, utilizing best practices to streamline HR operations.
- Provides support and coaching for directors and supervisors on management skills, employee relations, disciplinary procedures, HR issues, communication skills, etc.
- Monitor changes with HR laws; revises policies and procedures; ensure compliance; and update and trains supervisors accordingly;
- Periodically review and update HR-related policies and procedures;
- Conduct salary and benefits surveys to ensure that N-YHS is competitive with similar institutions;
- Manage and negotiate all benefit renewals;
- Write clear and concise benefit communications to employees;
- Have a clear understanding of benefit regulations and advise senior management appropriately in support of making decisions for the institution;
- Oversee the day-to-day management of salary and HRIS administration, working with other staff to ensure that system functionalities are implemented;
- Develop an energizing and culture reinforcing onboarding process/integration program for new hires;
- Coordinate orientations for employee benefit programs and work closely with finance on all aspects of benefits and payroll administration;
- Create and oversee training and other programs that support the retention of our employees;
- Lead the employee performance evaluation process, i.e. create or update forms, train supervisors, ensure consistency across departments, review previous evaluations, and give timely and appropriate feedback to supervisors, etc.;
- Communicate and negotiate with two unions regarding a variety of issues;
- Oversee disciplinary actions, performance improvement plans, exit interviews, and other employee relations matters;
- Conduct workplace investigations and draft reports;
- Oversee personnel files to ensure that all necessary paperwork is completed, updated, and filed;
- Be a resource for all levels of employees;
- Supervise and directly manage one full time HR employee; and
- Perform other duties as needed
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive Human Resources experience;
- Proven leadership and managerial skills;
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a knowledgeable resource for the senior management team; must be able to have your voice heard and to work collaboratively with senior management;
- Knowledge in all facets of Human Resources;
- Possesses both strategic thinking capability and a “hands on”, collaborative team-oriented approach to HR projects;
- Clear understanding of federal, state, and local laws and regulations that impact the Human Resources function;
- Strong background in HRIS, ADP preferred;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point, and Visio
- Experience working in a union environment preferred;
- Experience overseeing disciplinary actions and workplace investigations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Sensitive to confidentiality; and
- Multi-tasker, detailed-orientated, and comfortable in a fast paced environment with only two HR professionals on staff
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files (up to 25 lbs), open filing cabinets, and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please reference the job title. The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.