Discover dynamic education programs and curriculum resources about the history of our city, state, and nation.
Fourth Grade: How did New York become the city is it today?
Trace the growth of the city by examining the material culture previous generations left behind, from the first native peoples to the influx of immigrants in the late 19th century.
- Session 1: New York’s First People
- Session 2: Life in New Amsterdam
- Session 3: Life in British New York
- Session 4: Slavery in New York
- Session 5: The American Revolution in New York
- Session 6: New York, New Nation
- Session 7: New York Divided—The Civil War
- Session 8: Immigration
- Session 9: Culmination—Visual Timeline