Banner

Banner
Title
Banner
Date 
1850-1950
Medium 
Silk, metallic fringe
Dimensions 
Overall: 35 x 36 in. ( 88.9 x 91.4 cm )
Description 
Shield shaped silk parade banner of the City Club of New York; white silk with a stripe of red silk down the center; on the left a gold and blue painted shield of the City of New York (Astor arms), beavers and cider casks divided by the arms of a windmill, above a red sewn castle turret and the inscription, "GOOD GOVERNMENT/ CLUB/ D"; on the right, inscribed at the top, "FOR/ THE/ CITY" above a red sewn castle turret and another painted City shield; trimmed with yellow and metallic ribbon; metallic fringe along the bottom; backed with red silk; four tied ribbons across top.
Credit Line 
Lent by the City Club of New York
Object Number 
X.532
Marks 
painted: all over: "GOOD/ GOVERNMENT/ CLUB/ D/ FOR/ THE/ CITY" handwritten: along bottom: "Richard Welling President"
Gallery Label 
The City Club of New York was established in 1892 to promote social interaction among men interested in efficient city government and the election of "fit persons" to municipal office. The club published an annual report as well as books and pamphlets on rapid transit, bridges, public charities, the water supply, the school calander, the police department, and the city charter.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group