Bell

Bell
Title
Bell
Date 
ca.1646
Medium 
Brass
Dimensions 
Overall: 16 x 12 in. ( 40.6 x 30.5 cm )
Description 
Cast brass bell with loop at top with three piercings; bell is banded and has inscriptions made from applied square sheet-metal plates with letters and foliate decoration; applied sheet-metal cross on one side, and applied sheet-metal square with cross on hill on other.
Credit Line 
Gift of Mrs. Augustus Van Horne Ellis
Object Number 
1940.672
Marks 
in relief: "AVE MARIA ES DESAN IVAN"
Gallery Label 
According to the accession records, the history of this bell is unknown, except that it once hung in Pelham Priory, a girls school run by the Boltons (possibly Sarah Knowles Bolton) during the 19th century at Pelham, Westchester County, N.Y. The donor attended this school. The translation of the inscription is as follows: "Hail Mary from the highest/ and her son and the spirit."
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group