Coffee and tea service
see individual records
Wrought Victorian rococo silver coffee and tea service consisting of a coffeepot, teapot, tray, sugar bowl with lid, creamer and waste bowl; six-sided inverted pear-shaped bodies on molded six-sided scalloped feet; long upper bodies flare slightly, to scalloped rims with cast-applied c-scrolls and six decorative cast pendants at each drop; chased and repousséd floral, scroll and acanthus decoration divides the six sides and runs along the first curves of the lower bodies; engraved cartouches in each section filled with diamond patterns on the sides and reserves with the initials, "Z M" in gothic script on the fronts; feet decorated with chased and repousséd floral and scroll decoration; round lids, flat at the edges, raised to flat domes in the center; domes engraved with six empty cartouches; cast floral finials; scroll handles; maker's marks on the bases.
Gift of Dr. Adelaide Mills
engraved: in front cartouches: "Z M"
stamped: on bases: "W. ADAMS" in a barbed rectangle over "NEW-YORK" in a barbed rectangle
stamped: on base of waste bowl: "J. H. JOHNSTON/ STERLING"
Zophar Mills (1809-1887), who married Eliza Phillips (ca. 1815-1902); to their daughter Dr. Adelaide Mills (b. 1852), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.