Cross-belt plate

Cross-belt plate
Title
Cross-belt plate
Date 
1760-1783
Medium 
Brass
Dimensions 
Overall: 2 1/4 x 3 3/8 in. ( 5.7 x 8.6 cm )
Description 
Brass cross-belt plate; rectangular plate with a crown at top above a foliate inscription flanked on both sides by a corps name; washer plate and two rivets on back.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number 
INV.6100.416
Marks 
engraved: on front at bottom: "GR (foliate; royal cypher of King George III); flanking cypher on left: "...III"; on right: "REG" (probably the 38th British Regiment)
Gallery Label 
This belt plate was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The plate was worn on the uniform of a private in the 38th Regiment.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group