Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.

Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Title
Fire Engine, Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 Morrisania, N.Y.
Date 
1851
Medium 
Mixed
Dimensions 
Overall: 103 x 187 x 69 in. (261.6 x 475 x 175.3 cm) Overall (On site measurement): 78 x 62 x 128 in. (198.1 x 157.5 x
Description 
Hand-drawn and hand-power engine. Name "White Ghost" painted on front of carriage; "Morrisania Exempts" on side; and "Organized June 7, 1875" on back of carriage. Wheels with copper hub bands and iron tires; body painted white, running gear maroon striped gold and black. Accessories: hinged hand pole, hose and nozzles; ropes.
Credit Line 
Gift of the surviving members of Exempt Firemens Benevolent Fund Association of the 23rd and 24th Wards, 1933
Object Number 
1933.235
Marks 
inscriptions: name: "White Ghost" painted on front of carriage; "Morrisania Exempts" on side; and "Organized June 7, 1875" on back of carriage.
Gallery Label 
The "Lady Washington" was built in 1851 and used by the Lady Washington Engine Co. No.1 in Morrisania until 1874, when Morrisania was annexed to New York City.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group