Wood fragment from the Dutch expedition ship "Tyger."
This small wooden fragment is a relic of the Dutch expedition ship "Tyger," sent to America in 1613 under the command of Adriaen Block. The "Tyger" burned and sank on the Hudson shore of Manhattan near what is now the intersection of Greenwich and Dey Streets. In 1916, workmen excavating the site for the IRT subway uncovered the ship's prow and keel. Portions were sawed off and preserved, but the rest is still there, twenty feet below street level.
Gift of Dr. William Becker Van Alstyne, M.D.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024