Framed set of objects (35) excavated at Fort Washington

Framed set of objects (35) excavated at Fort Washington
Framed set of objects (35) excavated at Fort Washington
Framed set of objects (35) excavated at Fort Washington
Title
Framed set of objects (35) excavated at Fort Washington
Date 
1760-1783
Medium 
Brass, bronze, clay, copper, lead, iron, pewter
Dimensions 
largest: 3 x 1 3/4 in. ( 7.6 x 4.4 cm )
Description 
Brass thimble; a lead pencil with one pointed end; a small brass comb; a large brass belt buckle with a rectangular frame and iron tongue; a brass stock buckle; another brass belt buckle with a circular frame; two brass or copper nails; six small brass strips; two brass or bronze knee-breech buckles; two cone-shaped brass scabbard points; four copper British coins; a clay tobacco pipe stem fragment wrapped with lace; three small hooks; an inscribed buckle or badge; a decorated pewter buckle; four decorated brass or bronze shoe buckle fragments.
Object Number 
INV.6200.444-478
Marks 
engraved: (476), on front: "R ARTIL" (British Royal Artillery)
Gallery Label 
These objects were excavated in 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The decorated buckles were probably worn by British or Hessian officers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group