Kettle

Kettle
Title
Kettle
Date 
1874
Medium 
Silver, ivory, gilt
Dimensions 
Overall: 11 1/8 x 10 x 7 1/2 in. ( 28.3 x 25.4 x 19 cm ) Silver Weight: 43 oz (troy) 16 dwt (1363 g)
Description 
Spun and cast silver kettle in the Egyptian style with gilt decoration; matte-finished, circular urn-shaped body with a squared shoulder, a narrow cylindrical neck and a flared, applied, molded rim; matte-finished, low domed lid, flat at the edge, raised in the center and surmounted by a gilt winged sphinx finial; fixed, three-part bail handle, seamed and hollow, ivory insulators; handle supports with cast, gilt female heads with acanthus leaf crowns, attach at the sides of the shoulder; seamed curved spout, cast in two pieces, with a chased, gilt thistle at the lower front and an applied, gilt acanthus leaf pendant at the lip; applied, cast, gilt pharaoh's heads between floral scrolls at the shoulder on the front and back; two silver pegs attached to each side of the body for mounting on stand; molded circular pedestal; engraved, "J/ R" overlapping; maker's marks on the base.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Children and Grandchildren of John Roach
Object Number 
1920.18b
Marks 
Mark: stamped on base: "F" incuse; "STERLING" above a lion passant in a chamfered rectangle, an anchor in a rectangle and a "G" in gothic script in a chamfered rectangle over "690/ G" engraved: on front: overlapping, "J/ R"
Gallery Label 
This kettle was part of a tea and coffee serviced presented to John Roach (1815-1887) on April 30, 1874 at a lavish gentlemen's dinner held at Delmonico's restaurant in New York City. Honored by eighty-two businessmen for "all he had done to revive American shipbuilding," Roach was regarded as a champion of the industry and its workers. The Roach presentation received extensive attention in contemporary newspapers. The New York Times described it as "a magnificent collection of plate, worthy in every way of the high reputation of the Gorham Manufacturing Company." Made in the years following Gorham's expansion, the service required the work of numerous specialist craftsmen with its construction taking more than sixty-four hours to complete.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group